Jan 5, 2013

News quiz 2012 - vocabulary review

Making history
By Alexandre Inagaki via Flickr
[CC BY 2.0]
I hope you and your students enjoyed my traditional end-of-year news quiz I published earlier this week. If you haven't seen it, it's still not too late - follow this link

Activities below are aimed at reviewing the language from the quiz. Scroll down to view handouts for students (2 levels) and teachers notes with answers.

Part A reviews verb + noun collocations (e.g. make history)



Part B reviews adjective + noun (ancient civilization) and noun + noun collocations (prank call)

Part C is an extension activity providing additional noun collocates for the adjectives in B. It is assumed that most words here will be familiar to students, but some combinations (e.g. remote possibility) might be new.

You can do some contrastive analysis here and ask students to translate the collocations into their L1. They might end up with different L1 words for soft in soft drink / voice / skin. Remote in remote area may not be the same L1 word in remote possibility. Remind the students that they should not rely on word for word translations but look at what the word collocates (=goes) with.

There is a further review activity for adjective + noun collocations in Part C (upper level) - scroll all the way down.

Part D: The upper level version provides a further review of other lexical chunks from the quiz while the lower level version focuses on the Passive voice.

See Teachers notes for answers to both versions.

For more viral videos, see this article on BBC

News quiz 2012 - vocab review upper

News quiz 2012 vocab review lower

News quiz 2012 vocab review - ANSWERS (both levels)


Another revision activity for the collocations in Part C (upper-intermediate version)
For ideas on working with collocation forks, see this post
Adjective + Noun collocation forks

12 comments:

  1. Which methons do you personally choose to look for data for your fresh posts, which particular search networks or techniques do you regularly rely on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan 5, 2013
    News quiz 2012 - vocabulary review



    I you haven't seen it--Can this typo be corrected ASAP?
    Regards,
    diminka111

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and your students = your students and you would be grammatically and stylistically more correct (Like in "My friends and me")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your corrections, Diminka.
      It should be "If you haven't seen..." - I've corrected it.
      As regards the second one, I am not so sure about "My friends and me". Shouldn't it be "My friends and I"?

      Delete
    2. Hi! I'm not 100% sure,but I think I've read somewhere a good explanation of "me" and "I"--"I" seems to be more formal.

      Delete
  4. teachers notes with answers.
    Do you mean "teachers' notes with answers?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! God speed!
    diminka111

    anglit6.blogspot.com (an EFL site)
    anglit6@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will there be any examples of PARTICIPLE+NOUN collocations ("a washing machine"//"a broken heart"),of NOUN+GERUND ("a notorious kidnapping")and of ADJECTIVE+GERUND ("a sudden throbbing")or is it too advanced?
    Best wishes,
    diminka111

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't confuse students with Particles and Gerunds. Particle + Noun fit into the same category as Adj + Noun and Gerunds are Nouns after all, so why create a separate category for them? However, if you feel your advanced students would benefit from such a detailed analysis of parts of speech then perhaps you could do an activity focusing on gerunds.
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only like to object to your remark "Gerund=Noun". "Gerund" is considered a verbal noun,and it obviously has its own conventions and limitations.As part of the sentence,it can carry "noun's" chores,and I would agree with your point of view there.
      Respectfully,
      diminka111

      Delete
  8. Keep sharing such good stuff. It was nice reading the post. Really worth to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with anonymous about Gerunds, but other than that a great article! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...