You will need a DVD of the film or, alternatively, you can show the clip on Youtube (click here). If you're using the DVD, the scene starts at 2.12 and ends with the receptionist saying on the phone “they were such a**holes”. If you find it inappropriate, stop the playback right after the customers say “We won’t!”
Before you watch
Freeze-frame: a view of the hotel from outside. Discuss with students if they have ever stayed / often stay in hotels. Brainstorm what kind of problems hotel guests may encounter while staying in a hotel (e.g. rude staff, room not being cleaned etc)
While you watch
1. Show the clip. Was the problem the guests experience in the film mentioned in the pre-watching discussion?
2. Give out the handout (2 versions available below). Ask students to look at the questions in While You Watch. Show the clip again. Students answer the questions in pairs then discuss as a whole class.
3. Show the clip again. If you are using DVD you may want to show the clip with English subtitles at this stage.
What do you mean it's not in the computer (For Younger Learners) - click to download
What do you mean it's not in the computer?! see below1. Do the language work focusing on computer-related expressions
After you watch
After you watch
2. Discussion in pairs/groups
Optional extension / follow-up
• Discuss whether students have ever deleted files by mistake from their computers. What happened? How did they solve the problem?
• Mini role-plays: Customer complaining to a hotel receptionist
Innovations Intermediate. Unit 8. Complaints. Page 49 activity 4 – Softening complaints.